How to get a Jump Start on Next Year
July 17, 2019
While summer is typically seen as a time for rest, relaxation, and recuperation, it can also be a great time to prepare for next year. Getting ready for school, even a little at a time, can make your year and the transition from summer to school easy and painless. Here are a few tips to help you get a heads start on the school year:
- Start looking over basic concepts for your more challenging classes – This can be anything from watching Khan Academy or Crash Course videos (fun and educational) to reading the first few chapters of your textbook to ensure that you have an understanding and won’t be lost and overwhelmed immediately.
2. Study for important tests coming up (PSAT, SAT/ACT) – Preparing for these tests is more and more important the older you get. Buying books, taking readiness classes, and taking practice tests are all good ways to guarantee success.
3. Make a study schedule – Planning out and setting aside times every week or night to study will hold you accountable throughout the school year and make sure that studying remains a priority.
4. Fix your sleeping schedule – Staying up and sleeping in late can be fun when you have nothing to do during the day, but getting your sleep schedule back in order is very important so you’re not exhausted the first few weeks.
5. Work on summer assignments – Obviously you have to get your summer homework done, but working on it bit by bit or knocking it out in the first couple weeks can save a lot of stress and make sure that you’re not trying to finish it the night before.